Keeping yourself updated on the latest news and updates about your keywords and topic is an important activity for bloggers. I myself spends considerable time in monitoring, reading and listening to what others are writing and saying on blogs and social media particularly about my topic.
Why should you be aware?
- Ideas for your articles. Some bloggers stop writing because they ran out of ideas to write or to blog about.
- Be aware of breaking news then share. Is is important to know updates especially if you follow certain trends or buzz. This can make your readers know of what the latest on your stories as well.
- You are perceived as expert. Bloggers who are aware of what’s happening are most often perceived as experts or someone in authority in their industry.
- Connection. Monitoring alerts can enable you to make connections and build relationships with through constant discussion and exchange of information with the involved people.
Here how you can easily create alerts in Google. Go to: http://www.google.com/alerts
Monitor the Web for interesting new content
Google Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant Google results (web, news, etc.) based on your choice of query or topic.
Enter the topic you wish to monitor, then click preview to see the type of results you’ll receive. Some handy uses of Google Alerts include:
- monitoring a developing news story
- keeping current on a competitor or industry
- getting the latest on a celebrity or event
- keeping tabs on your favorite sports teams